Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


August 20, 2008

Seven vegetables go under cover



Roll up, roll up, ladies and gentlemen
Step right up to the greatest show on earth
Be amazed to see a grown man eat turnip
Gasp in awe as seven vegetables pass the lips of a one year old

Today's stand-back-and-throw meal is another attempt at nutrition by deception. There is a fair bit of chopping at the outset, but it pays dividends. You see, in our house there is an inverse correlation between vegetable size and likelihood of being eaten by man and toddler alike.

To make this casserole I tossed together diced beef and finely cut carrot, capsicum, mushroom, carrot and turnip. After this I emptied in a tin of crushed tomatoes, a huge dollop of tomato paste, beef stock, extra water, some garlic and chives and heaps of freeze-dried peas. Finally, the piece-de-resistance: a few generous spoons of oatmeal. I then cooked the whole thing using my marvellous set-and-forget slow-cooker, but of course it works just as well in the oven.

Footnote: somewhat fittingly, dinner this evening was a complete three-ringed circus

4 comments:

  1. I love this post. I mean, I get the toddler's avoiding vegie thing, but grown men? What is it with them?? Sounds like a great recipe, might have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's my type of dinner (I have the same toddler aversion to vegies), but if you cut them up really small and cover them in sauce, then I'll eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm! That might work! Toddlers and veggies is certainly a conundrum. I've been making sweet potato muffins lately to combat Mr. Bossyboots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stand back & throw dinners.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.