Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


August 07, 2008

Is it a walk in the park?



It seems I have moved past open hostility and uneasy truce and am in new place. At the odd moment I have found myself enjoying using the new walking foot for my Janome machine. I think I have been smiling. Maybe even beaming.

I've been experimenting a little, trying out different fabrics and projects. I thought I might finally do a little write-up about this foot over the weekend. As a few nice people had left comments to the effect that they were thinking of buying one of these gizmos, I have had an idea.

Leave a comment before Saturday saying what you had in mind for a walking foot and I will try and test-run and document it for you. I won't make too many rash promises. This will all be limited by my ability ... and of course, how kindly disposed I feel toward said foot, by the weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't live without my walking foot! It really shows its talent when sewing layers, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My machine came with a sewing foot and it is still wrapped in plastic. I would love tosee some of your experimentation, give me some confidence to whip it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger is playing up thismorning so you may have multiple comments from me...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make a wash bag, for toiletries, and I am quailing at the thought of dealing with vinyl...I need a walking foot! And a how-to! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments so far!

    My test-run ideas thus far are:

    (1) Something with lots of layers (thanks for the tip, Katie!)
    (2) Something in the quilted line (though I have to warn you, I've never quilted anything in my life!)
    (3) Vinyl - I have quite a bit left over from a hideous previous project (thanks for the idea, muralimanohar)
    (4) Velvet - my current bete noir!
    (5) Checks/plaid

    Cindy, I'm not sure if your walking foot is a Janome, but I will put together some instructions on how to attach a Janome foot. Janome don't really give you any good instructions or diagrams to go with the foot and I found this very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought a walking foot as well, and was going to test it out tonight before the Olympics start, but I've been on the computer reading through my fave blogs instead!! I would say the quilting is a good idea to do, or maybe a bag. Lots of layers with all the interfacing, fusible stuff, whatever it is!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.