Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


June 06, 2008

The number 11


I love corduroy
Originally uploaded by Hoppo Bumpo

I have a guilty confession - I love corduroy.

Pin wale, mid wale, wide wale. Any colour. Any weight. I have a fondness for sewing with it. There, I've said it. It feels a little like admitting to eating devils on horseback, while listening to Boney M.

There is, however, always something resassuring about a corduroy garment.

And there are others of us in the world. I have discovered The Corduroy Appreciation Society in the US. They meet on dates that include the number 11; the figure that most resembles corduroy. Their meetings include secret rituals. I wonder if this is something unconventional like brushing their clothes against the nap. I shall never know as they are in NY and I am half a world way.

This afternoon I have been examining my corduroy stash. I am getting started on Argy and Bargy's new winter trousers. Now if I can just decide which wale ...

2 comments:

  1. I love corduroy too....especially the stuff with floral prints...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Oh! Oh! I had temporarily fprgptten (theres that spelling issue again - or is that a keyboard issue??)my passion for "cord" as it is known affectionately in this house. I've spent months (years?) building up a stash of cottons and cotton blends and now it is time to begin the great cord hunt... thank you for visiting my little blog and reigniting this passion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.