Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


July 31, 2009

Just a minute ... in July



I am joining in with Jenaveve's Just a minute meme, where we take a few moments to recall what we've been doing during the month. So, this wintery July I have been ...

Watching ...

... a television program called Grand Designs.

Each week, this British design program follows the progress of an ambitious building project from blue print through to finished building. There's always serious money involved in building - often exceeding the ½ million pound mark (excluding the land) for a family home. The journey is guaranteed to be fascinating - and rarely plain sailing - as the owners navigate financing, engineering, project management and a host of inevitable show stoppers. Kevin McCloud, the writer and presenter (and himself a designer), balances objective commentary with sage observation.

Its worth a look if you like armchair building and renovation, as I do. (I am afraid the only home alterations that have occurred at Chez Hoppo Bumpo, have been a broken door handle and the addition of a wall frieze of grey handprints).

Cooking ...

... ridiculous quantities of scones. Everyone who has visited the house has been plied with them. I am practising. And still experimenting. There's less two months until the Royal Melbourne Agricultural Show and I have applied to enter the cookery competition. Honestly, its just for fun; to be part of a creative institution. I'm probably 30 years too young to stand a chance!



I think my official tasters found the this last batch a bit crumbly, don't you?

Reading ...

... Jane Austen's Sewing Box, a wonderful book my sister gave me for my birthday. Its full of beautiful colour plates, historical descriptions of life in the late 18th century and authentic craft projects. Apart from the obvious eye-candy factor, the book is really fascinating (and I really can't resist a reference to a frock coat or cravat!). I'm looking forward to trying some of the projects - there's beautiful Regency paper flowers and a fabulous netted purse that I have been admiring.

Planning

... to panic. I may or may not be doing a craft market in September. Selling what you might enquire? Ah yes, my question exactly!


To see who else is playing along with Just a minute ... head over to Jenaveve's blog, August Street.

8 comments:

  1. I have heard so many good things about that book, I really have to put it on my list.

    um sell scones? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good friend of mine is about to give birth to a little boy. she asked if it was ok to name him after someone she has a crush on - Kevin. Incredulously I asked if she had a crush on Kevin Rudd...no no she said - Kevin McCloud.

    Love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is so exciting the you haver entered into the show. Will look forward to see how it all goes. I generally do a monthly wrap and find that it is helpful to remind myself that we do squish quite a lot into one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! it looks as though your official scone tasters enjoyed them though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, a craft market! Fun. Perhaps you could sell scones?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did someone say craft market????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entering things in the show is fun. Mum and I had melting moments in one year. Being there for the judging was great fun and good to learn some tips. The one thing we learned was that if they are not all exactly the same size they are not worthy! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - which market?? Can't wait to hear what you'll be making/selling.

    JA's Sewing box looks delightful... I was flicking through it the other day in a bookshop and it was all I could do not to buy it. Maybe I will go back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.