Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


August 13, 2009

My creative space



I am joining in with Thursday's My Creative Space at Kootoyoo.

Clockwise from top right:


  • Calico toile - sewn from the Folkwear 215 Empire dress pattern

  • Paper, pencil and tape measure - for redrafting pattern pieces

  • Fabric - brushed back satin ditsy for the final garment

This Regency-era gown project has been so very Jane Austen. Girl meets sewing pattern; girl falls in love with pattern; girl encounters show stopping obstacles which make her despise and loathe pattern.

Now this girl is waiting for the bit where she is swept off her feet again.

You see there was a dress fitting earlier this week. It was a stretch to get ready - I have been sewing one-armed, after dislocating my shoulder 10 days ago. We fitted the calico toile. I held my breath. It looked ... er, how should I put this delicately ... absolutely hideous. Harsh but true. The bodice was all wrong. Despite doing a full bust alteration on the pattern, the bodice was still too shallow making the skirt hike up higher than a climber on Kilimanjaro. And much to the poor wearer's discomfort, the neckline was p-l-u-n-g-i-n-g.

So, its back to the drawing board.

Thank you very much Kirsty for hosting My Creative Space. Its great fun seeing what everyone is doing. To see who else is showing their creative space (or to join in), head over here.

11 comments:

  1. Liesl, are you planning on wearing this anywhere or just a fun project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it all comes together..I am also curious as to what this is for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch about your shoulder :( never fun when that happens. hopefully it heals fast

    hmmm maybe a different pattern will sweep you off your feet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, not a dress for me. I'm sewing it for one of the other mums at Argy's kindergarten. I might try it on secretly, just for fun later though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe you are going through all this torture and it's not for you. Agghhhhh! I hope you are charging her for danger money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From mending for others to making for others. I am cheering you on from the side lines knowing full well that I could not do what you are doing! And if I tried there would be at least two people who weren't talking to me...

    You have come this far, you will triumph over this pattern! There will be drinks and cake! We will be toasting to your success!

    Then some one else will ask if you could sew them up, say, a wedding dress or business shirt...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear this is why I will never be fantastic like you, I would never make a toile, I am far too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the photo and hearing what creative goodness will come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Hope it feels better soon. I can't imagine how you sew with one arm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor girl - I hope you're not in too much pain there. And doesn't help with the costume dramas... well I hope they right themselves too. It sounds like a character building experience! Hang in there - you'll be mighty proud when it starts coming together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.