This week - following a few pattern tweaks - I started on my Jalie #2005 t-shirt production line. As the old saying goes "when you're on to a good thing ... make at least 50 of it". Or was that "too many knits are never enough"?
Anyway, the first cab off the rank was this plain black tee in a cotton-lycra blend.
For this version of the t-shirt, I replaced the fabric neck band with fold-over elastic (below). I'd never tried fold-over elastic before, so had a few little practice runs on scraps.
It was fairly easy to apply and I quite like the finish it gives. My pattern had a V-neck, so I cut it a little rounder. (I'm deeply suspicious that stitching elastic into a point could end up in all kinds of ugly).
I finished the hems on both the sleeves and at the bottom of the t-shirt using a twin needle. The sleeves are passable but not my finest work. A channel appeared between the two lines of stitching and harsh words were said (most of them naughty, unrepeatable ones).
Luckily when I got to the main hem, I remembered to fuse Vliesofix tape inside the fold for a bit of stability. The stitching sits quite nicely and I think I have a finished garment that looks vaguely store-bought. (Or maybe just vague. Oh, no, that would be me, the wearer.)
Now I am looking forward to getting started on some more tees using nice colours from my collection of knit fabrics. (The floral print is a stretchy Liberty Print, which I am working up the courage to
Now a little footnote to my previous Jalie t-shirt post. This is for those readers who left unsolicited comments regarding ... ahem ... my rack.
Yes, you know who you are. This is just for you.
Its a close-up of my big pear.