Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


July 09, 2008

Velvet



This deep aqua regal velvet is meant to resemble Butterick 3597. By Saturday. For a party.

Its a simple pattern, made many times before. But I must start. Right now.

Still, I really can't think of a better antidote to sewing that sticky vinyl, than a beautiful piece of slinky, slippery, silky velvet.

I do love velvet. Almost as much as corduroy.

There is something about the gleam, the colours and the luxurious texture. I became a velvet enthusiast in 1974. My first primary school teacher frequently wore a very beautiful fitted black velvet jacket to school (perhaps velveteen, but let's not spoil the story) .

I thought it was immensely glamorous. And indeed, amongst a mob of muddy, snotty and sometimes bilious 5 and 6 year-olds, it was a very brave and glamorous wardrobe choice. Either that, or a little foolhardy.

Hmmm, foolhardy, yes. That would actually be me imagining that I can get this skirt sewn before Saturday evening. So as I stare at the uncut fabric - admiring the beautiful drape - this regal velvet is starting to look more and more like a .... toga ....

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful shade. You can do it! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric - can't wait to see it made up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!! You can do it. It's gorgeous... Velvet is my favourite fabric probably because it was the first thing I learnt to sew with - a black velvet fitted dress. Brings back many early sewing memories with my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooh it's beautiful...good luck, I know you can do it....think happy velvet thoughts and mix that with lots of coffee (and chocolate)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will look beautiful. Have a great night in your new creation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.