Hoppo Bumpo (n): A children's game. Played by folding one's arms and hopping on one leg. Aim is to bump opponents, so that they lose their balance. Last person standing wins.


June 18, 2008

Are we there yet?



Sewing is a little like taking a driving holiday .... with children.

At times things are going swimmingly. The kids are quiet (or better, asleep for 3 hours). You are happy to meander; enjoy the view. You don't mind how long it takes. Its all about the journey.

Other times, its all about the destination. You know the trip, don't you? There's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. The kind of journey where you hear those disappointing words: Are we there yet? and you have only just backed out of the driveway.

I have been working on a trousers toile for a number of weeks now. I am sewing in a very pleasant and social evening class. For the most part, this particular sewing project has been about the journey. There’s been laughter and gossip. And hilarity as our teacher explains how Palmer and Pletch recommend fitting and altering the ladies' pant. After consulting the Palmer and Pletsch book, apparently I suffer from a “Baggy Derriere” and (I quote) some kind of“Crotch oddity”. Methinks: perhaps I shouldn’t be divulging this piece of information in polite company. On the whole though, sewing the toile has been kind of fun.

But like Argy and Bargy on a four hour drive, I’m becoming restless. And as every parent knows, once that sets in there's no going back. Calico just isn’t cutting it for me anymore. Its nearly time to move on to the Real Trousers.

I’d better just iron out the problem with my baggy derierre or there will indeed be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing what people have to say. Leave a comment if you like.